About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Thursday, June 07, 2012

Death of Ray Bradbury

Have just heard about this.

Am in the midst of packing, unfortunately, but let me just say quickly that Ray Bradbury's death is the end of an era - he was one of the greats, an immense, and immensely influential, talent. I'm sure there will be many posts and articles today doing him more justice than I am in just this quick notice.

It doesn't seem that long ago that Isaac Asimov, Robert A. Heinlein, Arthur C. Clarke, and, of course, Bradbury, were all still with us. :(

1 comment:

Steven Paul Leiva said...

Russell, thank you for this post. Ray was a major inspiration to me. Reading him, the Ian Fleming Bond books, and Somerset Maugham, made me want to become a writer. Later, I got to know Ray because of my work in film, and we were friends for 30 years or so. In 2010 I created and organized RAY BRADBURY WEEK in Los Angeles, a week long series of events which saw, sadly, Ray's last public appearances. If your readers would be interested, I maintain a RAY BRADBURY WEEK Facebook page that now stands as the historical record of that week. On it they will find photos and videos from the events, plus continuing updates of Bradbury matters. If they want to LIKE the page, they will find future updates (soon I hope) about a my work with the Los Angeles City Council to name a building or area in the city after Ray. I have been pursuing this goal since 2010, and am quite sad that I couldn't get it accomplished before Ray's death. But he knew all about it, and approved of it. The page can be found at:

http://www.facebook.com/raybradburyweek