About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Saturday, March 03, 2012

Orlando conference

I met a whole lot of people last night all in one fell swoop at the conference reception - among them, and in something like the order in which I met them, Tom Flynn, Stephen Law (he once signed a book for me, but that hardly counts), Jessica Ahlquist, Debbie Goddard, Ophelia Benson, Ron Lindsay, Lance Bush ... and others less well known to readers here, plus whomever I've forgotten momentarily (apologies to you, whoever you are!). I was feeling a little tired and out of sorts from a lot of time in planes lately, etc., but hopefully I didn't disgrace myself in any way. :)

The conference gets going in earnest this morning, and I'll be the lunchtime speaker tomorrow. So I have to worry about what I can say that will be news to this bunch of hardened secularists. Still, no use departing from fairly well-laid plans too much at this late stage.

2 comments:

Ophelia Benson said...

I don't think there's a chance that we can say anything new. I'm just going to acknowledge that at the beginning.

Russell Blackford said...

It's awfully tempting to tear up what I was going to say and start again ... but, nah.