About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019); AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021); and HOW WE BECAME POST-LIBERAL: THE RISE AND FALL OF TOLERATION (2024).

Monday, August 22, 2011

Maryam Namazie dinner in Sydney

I'm off to Maryam Namazie's first gig in her Australian tour, a dinner in Sydney - and looking forward to it very much. I hope I get a proper chance to talk to Maryam, who was, of course, one of the many fine contributors to 50 Voices of Disbelief. I guess she'll be a bit mobbed, but we'll see.

Description of the gig: "Talk by Maryam Namazie and fundraising dinner for One Law For All.
Maryam will speak about the implications of legal pluralism for Australia, with insights from the UK experience to date in accommodating Islamic sharia law through the Arbitration Act 1996, and the current effort to limit the power of sharia courts and religious tribunals through the Arbitration and Mediation Services (Equality) Bill."

No comments: