About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

60 is the new 20

Well, I certainly hope it turns out that way when I get there. Meanwhile, I'm referring to this review of a new book by Catherine Mayer: Amortality: The Pleasures and Perils of Living Agelessly. This sounds like something I should read.

7 comments:

Rob said...

Don't trust anyone over 90

Michael Fisher said...

Appropriately she's London bureau chief for TIME :)

Catherine Mayer writes about her ideas here: Live long. Stay healthy. Join the immortals. Shallow.

Russell Blackford said...

I guess I should have a look at that link, but do you want to say why it's shallow? You may well be right, but simply saying, "Shallow," is not very persuasive.

Anonymous said...

With any luck, 80 will be the new 20 by the time we get there.

Michael Fisher said...

See Cosmo style end of article:
4. Your friend's new lover is 25 years younger than your friend. You:
a) Don't think the age difference matters. They're soul mates
b) Understand the attraction but the age gap means the relationship is unlikely to last
c) Think "there's no fool like an old fool"
d) Hadn't noticed

but particularly Q10 re attitude to death

Nothing to learn from this book nor the author

P said...

Shallow... Has it occurred to you that you're reading an adapted excerpt of a book, not the full text? 100,000 words compressed into less than 3,000?

What *deep* thoughts have you had today, Mr Fisher?

P said...

BTW I'm not intentionally hiding behind an initial. I'm the shallow author