About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Friday, March 18, 2011

Currently reading ... lots of stuff, actually, for the Norma K. Hemming Award

I'm a juror for the Norma K. Award, which is awarded annually (provided a worthy recipient is found) on the following basis:

The Norma K. Hemming Award marks excellence in the exploration of themes of race, gender, sexuality, class and disability:

* in the form of science fiction and fantasy or related artwork or media.
* produced either in Australia or by Australian citizens.
* first published, released or presented in the calendar year preceding the year in which the award is given.

This has me reading all sorts of fascinating books and stories that I wouldn't necessarily broach without being prompted. There's a lot of material here that's very impressive, and in a variety of ways. My fellow jurors (Sarah Endacott, Rob Gerrand, and Tess Williams) and I will need to reach a decision in the next month or so, in time for the next national science fiction convention, here in Australia, toward the end of April.

No comments: