About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019); AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021); and HOW WE BECAME POST-LIBERAL: THE RISE AND FALL OF TOLERATION (2024).

Saturday, April 28, 2012

Responding to Sam Harris on free will

I have a long response - I say "response" because it's more than a "review" - to Free Will by Sam Harris ... over on the ABC Religion and Ethics Portal. Do I agree with Harris that there is no libertarian freedom of the will? Yes. Do I think Harris knows what he is talking about when he discusses compatibilist theories and accuses compatibilists of "changing the subject"? No.

1 comment:

ColinGavaghan said...

Very nice piece of writing, Russell. I wish everyone writing on this complex issue could set out their position so clearly.