About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Anyone for tennis?

As some of you probably know, I'm a fan of professional tennis. The last two weeks of January are when I try to take a bit of time off to relax, enjoy some sunshine, and follow events at the Australian Open. This year, I'll be going down to Melbourne for some of it, and even intend to go to the women's and men's finals in the Rod Laver Arena the weekend after next (we already have tickets!).

However, I am absolutely frantic this week with one thing and another. Partly it's because I'll be away for a chunk of time and need to sort out a lot of stuff first. Partly it's just a mix of other personal and professional things that have come up.

I did, however, manage to watch the Hewitt-Nalbandian match last night (with Nalbandian winning 9-7 in the fifth set). I'll have to work out who to root for on the men's side of the tournament, with Hewitt eliminated. I'm afraid that I never root for Federer or Nadal - nothing against either gentleman, mind you; just a propensity to root for someone who is a relative underdog. I do miss Safin.

Maybe it's Tsonga, after he survived a first-round scare last night. I have plenty of options on the women's side of things.

1 comment:

Monty le Pen said...

Would you make exceptions to your ban on prayer to help the lousy Australian effort so far in the tennis?