About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Friday, November 04, 2011

The reading pile

My reading pile keeps growing. Some recent additions that I'm looking forward to broaching are:

Warriors of the Tao: The Best of Science Fiction: A Review of Speculative Literature, edited by Damien Broderick and Van Ikin (Borgo Press). This contains a number of short pieces by me, mainly from the 1980s, as well as a lengthy email interview with major SF scholar and critic Darko Suvin, in which I took part about ten years ago.

Exploring Science Fiction: Text and Pedagogy, edited by Geetha B. and Amit Sarwal (published in India by SSS Publications). This contains new essays, mostly by high profile scholars in the field, among them James Gunn, Farah Mendlesohn, and Andy Sawyer. I'm not aware of the Indian contributors, but that is probably my oversight. I look forward to reading their takes on science fiction. The book contains a new essay by me of about 5000 words, "How Science Fiction Represents Technoscience". I'm quite proud of this piece - award juries, etc., please take note. If anyone is interested in a review copy, I can put you in touch with Amit Sarwal.

Traveling in Space, by Steven Paul Leiva. I've been sent an advance reading copy of this satirical novel for review ... and I promise Steve Leiva that I'll get to it soon. Looks like it will be fun.

1 comment:

Steven Paul Leiva said...

Thanks, Russell! Glad the book made it to the Antipodes! Yes, I know only us NoHem people use that term, but it does trip of the tongue nicely.