About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Julian Savulescu on that patents case

Julian Savulescu has a good crack at it here.

I'm still planning to have a go at the decision myself, because I think that there are some strictly legal issues that are not getting much discussion so far. But commentators such as Savulescu are right to protest the inappropriate imposition, via law, of a highly contestable moral viewpoint.

One irony of all this has not escaped me: in this case, we are seeing an irrationalist, quasi-religious morality being imposed through law by the supposedly secular nations of Europe rather than by the more religious US.

No comments: