About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Video interview at the AAI Convention last October

This is a video interview that I did with Dennis Horvitz last October in LA, at the AAI Convention. Not a bad interview - really more a conversation the way Dennis conducted it - though the video seems a bit blurry, and there's one thing about myself that I have to laugh at. Can you guess what it is?

9 comments:

Jerry Coyne said...

Umm. . . that tee shirt?

Luke Vogel said...

Oh, ummm, the talking belly?

Luke Vogel said...

It occurred to me while watching that video just how much "supernatural phenomena" are indeed within the realm of science.

Take for instance that Catholic belief talked about with regards to some supernatural occurrence taking place in evolution (Catholics also get into the bit about "souls").

Now, if we find evidence of this supernatural occurrence and/or "souls", then of course "supernatural phenomena" are within the realm of science. I mean, I would be convinced God exist if we discovered a point where we had no other explanation to offer but supernatural for how humans came to be, well human.

Same for 900 foot Jesus', souls and a whole bunch of other claims that are obviously within the realm of science if we discover evidence and/or the lack of.

Russell Blackford said...

Hopefully no one else noticed it, but I had a bad right elbow back in October - in fact it's still not completely better. 90 per cent better, but not completely. As a result, I winced with pain every time he shook hands with me, which I think he does three times in this video.

Charles Sullivan said...

The only thing laughable is the huge white name-tag hanging from your neck. Man, that thing is big.

Russell Blackford said...

Over at RD.net, people are complaining about the sound quality. I listened to it through my headphones and it seemed fine to me. Any of y'all bothered by that?

Unknown said...

The sound works fine for me. Enjoyed the interview. :)

Charles Sullivan said...

The audio was kind of glitchy at times on my end. At first I thought the playback was catching up with the file loading, but that wasn't the case.

Miranda Celeste Hale said...

Great interview, Russell :) I know it's a very American thing to say, but your accent is very charming!

And good lord, those opening credits are painfully cheesy. Wow.