About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Two gigs down

I've done both of my gigs in Dunedin ... and enjoyed both. It's been especially good finally meeting Colin Gavaghan and Nick Agar. The "debate" about human enhancement (it wasn't really a debate) tonight was a load of fun, as was the dinner with the guys and Carol Jess afterwards.

I haven't been able to see much of Dunedin so far, but the area around Otago University is very attractive, with some beautiful old buildings on the campus; the views from the higher floors of the university's newer buildings are spectacular. It's been pretty cold in the mornings, predictably enough, but we've had still days, and they've actually felt quite mild despite the low temperatures. I'll have to send you over here for a bit more about Dunedin than I can provide from my very limited experience so far.

Tomorrow, I will start (belatedly) to concentrate on enjoying the AAP conference, and getting to as many papers as I can. With one thing and another, I've been a bit remiss so far and have missed quite a few papers that looked interesting. Damn! Having come all this way, I need to do a lot more than focus on my own gigs - which, alas, has been the main order of things so far (along with catching up on some much-needed sleep).

7 comments:

ColinGavaghan said...

It was a real pleasure, Russell. If you're at a loose end and fancy grabbing a coffee/beer later in the week, just give make a shout. (Though probably best avoid calling the mobile!)

Anonymous said...

Is Michael Denton, still in Otago Uni?

Russell Blackford said...

I don't know that name, I'm afraid.

ColinGavaghan said...

Not since 20905, apparently.

Russell Blackford said...

2005?

ColinGavaghan said...

Um, yes, 2005. (The perils of typing with frozen fingers ...)

Russell Blackford said...

Hey, Colin - sorry not to catch up with you again before leaving Dunedin. Didn't quite work out. Oh well, another time.