About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Saturday, October 16, 2010

Sue Blackmore on "aggressive" atheists

I'm a bit late coming across this article from Comment is Free by Sue Blackmore (one of the many wonderful authors in, ahem, 50 Voices of Disbelief: Why We Are Atheists). It's still worth a read if you haven't come across from any other source.

Blackmore concludes:

Here on Cif, we were once asked, "Are there beliefs to die for?" And I replied that I would fight, and if necessary die, for women's freedom of the kind I have enjoyed all my life. I would certainly fight against the establishment of sharia law, and I should remember this when I say I don't want a fight. Yet these extremes are not likely, while the Church of England is all around us, and services such as this one presumably occur all the time. It is they, not I, who are girding their loins, taking up their shields and breastplates, sharpening their swords of the spirit and demanding a fight.

And they call me aggressive.

No comments: