About Me

My Photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, and professional writer. Author of FREEDOM OF RELIGION AND THE SECULAR STATE and HUMANITY ENHANCED.

Monday, October 25, 2010

The Potential Wedding Album - supporting same-sex marriage

This classy site - The Potential Wedding Album - supports same-sex marriage as a legal option here in Australia. You might want to have a look and give it your support and/or pass on the link. Successive federal governments in Australia have not only failed to provide for same-sex marriage; they have gone out of their way to discourage "too-marriage-like" legal statuses even in state and territory jurisdictions. All this is simply pandering to social conservatism, in my view. As long as we are going to have such a legal status as "marriage" in our society - maybe we shouldn't, but that change won't happen any time soon - I see no rational basis for restricting it to straight couples. The restriction is socially unnecessary, and it's gratuitously insulting to gay men, lesbians, and bisexuals. It casts them as second-class citizens with second-class relationships.

It's time to move on and get rid of this offensive restriction.

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Hello, I'm new to posting on this blog, which I discovered through some articles on richarddawkins.net. I'm very much enjoying reading your various posts.

After reading this post I visited 'The Potential Wedding Album' site and left a message of support, the substance of which was as follows:

I wholeheartedly support the existence of a legally recognised ceremony of commitment that is the same for heterosexual and homosexual couples. I am a bisexual woman engaged to marry my male partner. As a UK citizen, if my chosen life-partner had been female, she and I would have been able to become 'civilly partnered'. This is a tremendous and significant step away from centuries of restriction and discrimination, but still less than ideal.

As atheists, my partner and I will be having a civil ceremony. The reason most commonly understood for the restriction of marriage to straight couples in the UK is its Judeo-Christian cultural heritage. Well, if even civil marriage is still somehow a religious institution, than I don't want any of it, thanks! Can't my boyfriend and I be civilly partnered too? However, if marriage can be an entirely secular legal commitment, then I simply cannot see a reason for the gender of participants to even be relevant.