About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Monday, September 06, 2010

End of the worldcon

A good day for me today ... ending up the worldcon for this year. I was unhappy with some poor rescheduling by the convention that created a programming clash and forced me to pull out of a high-profile panel, but at least my formal paper for the convention's academic track went well this morning. All in all I'm happy enough, though tired.  But, yeah ...

The convention has not all gone smoothly, either from my self-interested viewpoint or more generally. I expect that there will be some public recriminations about aspects - notably hotel liaison (particularly the effects on parties and the SFWA hospitality suite) and program scheduling. One very high-profile author told me that he'd had a similar scheduling problem to mine, and I heard numerous other complaints about related issues. None of this is a good look for a convention at this level. I won't say any more, as I expect the issues to be discussed in more appropriate corners of the internet. A pity, though, that there were these glitches to spoil a great international event.

No comments: