About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. Author of FREEDOM OF RELIGION AND THE SECULAR STATE (2012), HUMANITY ENHANCED (2014), and THE MYSTERY OF MORAL AUTHORITY (2016).

Sunday, August 09, 2009

Sticking my toe - or rather my vocal cords - in the water

My author reading is scheduled in an hour. I think I now have enough voice to front it even if Jenny ends up doing most of the actual reading, as she's kindly volunteered to do (I've chosen a particularly racy passage for her from my story "Smoke City", involving death, explicit sex, and a lot of blood).

A more difficult test will come tonight (Saturday night Montreal time) when I see whether I'm up to chairing a panel on Watchmen. Wish me luck!

Edit: In the upshot, I decided to read from "Manannan's Children", rather than the X-rated passage from "Smoke City". Miraculously, I managed to croak my way, unassisted, through the entire half-hour reading. Now to recover for my panel at 7 pm.

Further edit: ... and the panel on Watchmen seemed to go quite well. I even received a couple of compliments afterwards for my skills as a moderator. Now to see how my vocal cords are feeling tomorrow morning, after the day's excitement.

No comments: