About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. Author of FREEDOM OF RELIGION AND THE SECULAR STATE (2012), HUMANITY ENHANCED (2014), and THE MYSTERY OF MORAL AUTHORITY (2016).

Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Thank Zeus for the X-Men franchise

It's given me something to post about when I'm feeling a bit burnt out from working 12 hours a day of late, and 7 days a week on the 50 Myths book. I am almost at the end of a huge batch of intense work over the past five weeks getting down my initial thoughts on the Myths. I will be disappearing to Vanuatu for 10 days of total relaxation very soon (leaving the Myths in Udo's capable hands). At the moment, my batteries need a lot of recharging.

I'm still excited about the First Class movie. If there's a franchise I'd kill to write for, other than Terminator, it's X-Men. The way my career has worked out, that won't happen. But at least I can enjoy, pontificate, etc.


Anonymous said...

Are X-Men your substitute for a religious mythos?

How sad.

Russell Blackford said...

No, Drive-By Anonymous Coward ... it would be sad if I thought the X-Men characters were real people.

I have nothing at all against fantasy or popular culture. Remember, I wrote three novels for the Terminator franchise: X-Men is hardly the only popular culture franchise that is dear to my heart. OTOH, I have a lot against people mistaking fantasy for reality. That is truly sad.