About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Currently reading - The Fundamentals of Ethics by Russ Shafer-Landau

I can thank Jean Kazez for recommending this book. I'm not very far into it, and I'm already finding points to disagree with. But it's a very clear, accessible, and (judging by the table of contents) comprehensive text on current philosophical ethics. I'm sure I'm going to enjoy the whole book.

It was published only last year, so we'd all be struggling to think of a more up-to-date introductory text on this subject. At this early stage I'd rank it above James Rachels' equivalent book, even though the latter is also very good.

2 comments:

Felix said...

Have you seen or heard anything about A.C. Grayling's new book, "The Good Book: A Secular Bible"?

Russell Blackford said...

I knew he was publishing a book with that title, but I don't know anything about it beyond that.