About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

Taner Edis: "Theocracy is not the issue"

Taner Edis replies here to Part I of my response his response to my earlier response to a story about Gary Bouma's about divisive secularists. Got it?

As you'll see, what Taner has written is very long indeed. I'm not going to try to reply to it tonight or probably for a few days. I'm currently preparing to drive down to Melbourne in the morning, which means at least a full day of driving. I'll probably stay somewhere on the road on Wednesday night, then get into the city on Thursday morning. Thursday afternoon I have a meeting of some importance to me, then my gig with AC Grayling on Thursday night. So I don't know when I'll be able to write my own Part III and do anything like justice to Taner's latest. But I'll get there.

Meanwhile, I hope that Ophelia and some of the others who are interested in all this will keep the ball in play.

5 comments:

Jerry Coyne said...

Russell,

Enjoy the meetings, but I hope you'll find time to report on them to those of us who couldn't make it.

Ophelia Benson said...

Have fun, Russell - and ditto to what Jerry says.

Greywizard said...

With the line up, I wish I could be there too. Have a great time.

By the way ----- THEOCRACY IS THE ISSUE! I know you know that, but I thought it was worthwhile repeating here.

Eric MacDonald
aka Greywizard

Sean Og said...

Hi Russell,

Whilst not strictly this issue, you've mentioned earlier that Barney Schwartz is the Fairfax journo designated to cover the upcoming convention. Have you seen his, what can only be called a pre-emptive attack in Fairfax' "National Times"?
It, and the comments attached at the end of the blog are fairly extreme and his complete partiality is well evidenced. I know that the usual understanding is that there's no such thing as bad publicity, but we'd be better off with none if this is all that's on offer.
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/blogs/the-religious-write/by-their-fruit-shall-ye-know-them/20100309-pt02.html?comments=156#comments
Regards Sean

Russell Blackford said...

I'm just back - it seemed to go well to me. I'm sure there'll eventually be photos and snippets of video on the internet.