About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Fundies blame abortion laws for bushfires

Pastor Danny Nalliah of Catch The Fire Ministries (CTFM) has suggested that the tragic bushfires in Victoria were a consequence of the Victorian parliament's recent decision to legalise abortion. I quote from the media release:

CTFM leader, Pastor Danny Nalliah said he would spearhead an effort to provide every assistance to devastated communities, although he was not surprised by the bush fires due to a dream he had last October relating to consequences of the abortion laws passed in Victoria.

He said these bushfires have come as a result of the incendiary abortion laws which decimate life in the womb. Besides providing material assistance, CTFM will commence a seven day prayer and fasting campaign for the nation of Australia tomorrow Wednesday the 11th February.


You can read the rest of this nauseating drivel for yourself. I made a comment on CTFM's website, which was still "in moderation" last I looked. I'll quote it here, just in case in disappears. Before I come to that, though, regular readers of this blog will be aware that CTFM is the organisation that was taken to court over alleged vilification of Muslims, and got bogged down in complex litigation with the Islamic Council of Victoria. In my opinion, the case that was pursued and the legislation under which it was pursued were both misguided. I support freedom of speech even for fundamentalist organisations such as CTFM. It doesn't mean I have to like them. My comment:

Mate, I’m another person whose support you had in the religious vilification case. I do support your freedom of speech. You are free to come out with the morally repugnant garbage in this media release, and I’ll defend your right to do so - just as I reserve my right to name it for what it is.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm, in Australia they leave a tenth of the embryo in the womb with their abortion procedure?

That IS pretty messed up.

dec·i·mate

1: to select by lot and kill every tenth man of
2: to exact a tax of 10 percent from

Russell Blackford said...

lol ... yes, Pastor Danny Nalliah did indeed state:

these bushfires have come as a result of the incendiary abortion laws which decimate life in the womb.

Nice one, Danny!

(Actually, this would be leaving nine-tenths of the embryo, not one tenth ... but who wants to be pedantic?)

Blake Stacey said...

Or should that be "pædantic"? (-;