About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Friday, September 30, 2011

It's not Sunday yet, but...

... first person to tell me, correctly, why this variant cover image is so funny gets an electronic No Prize. (The filename I've given to the jpg image is a good clue for historians of popular culture).

6 comments:

Jim said...

Ah, I thought it was familiar. It's an homage to Fantastic Four #1, yes?

JasonB said...

Dam Jim beat me to it. Yes that's right. I tried to post a link but the comment was blocked.

Unknown said...

What's funny about this is, quite obviously, that Cyclops appears to be blasting himself in the crotch.

The Uncredible Hallq said...

That's great. I'd never seen the Fantastic Four #1 cover before, but I've read enough Superdickery to pick it out as a call back to the Silver Age

Russell Blackford said...

Yup. Here's you No Prize, Jim:

Russell Blackford said...

And also well done, JasonB.

It's a very loving homage to the old FF # 1 cover, isn't it? Let's see if I can post a link: http://marvel.wikia.com/Fantastic_Four_Vol_1_1

And I guess it's now just on 50 years since FF #1 was published (with a return date of November 1961 on its cover), which started the Marvel Silver Age and everything that entailed.