About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

"Disbelief is Not a Choice"

I like this nice, clear piece by David Niose. It does raise questions as to what a "choice" is, but generally I think Niose is on the money here (I have a very brief discussion of the same issue in Freedom of Religion and the Secular State, but in the context of a discussion of Islam).

1 comment:

Ken Pidcock said...

By creating a social and political environment where religion is presumed to be central to morality and patriotism, and where open personal secularity is seen as unacceptable, religious conservatives lower the likelihood that more will gravitate toward a secular lifestance.

This remains to be seen. My impression is that the focus on intolerance is going to prove to be a real problem over time.