About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Thursday, October 29, 2009

In San Jose for the World Fantasy Convention

I arrived here this morning, local time, which equalled some ridiculous hour of the day by my body's time. Am now hoping to acclimatise as quickly as possible to a new timezone, so as to get the most out of the convention.

So far, I've scarcely looked a the program, but let's see. As a result of laziness or distraction at my end, I am not scheduled anywhere on the program, though Jenny has a couple of items, including the very last one after the World Fantasy Awards, since she is one of this year's judges (and thus one of the very people who knows the winners; and no, I am not one of those people).

I do feel a bit silly not getting myself on the program, but then again (1) it means I'm free to enjoy the convention with no pressure; and (2) it's probably just as well, because, for one reason or another, I've been doing a lousy job of keeping up with events and trends in fantasy and would feel like (and probably appear like) a charlatan. Next time, perhaps.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Enammascobame
appf