About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Blogging at Sentient Developments

If you haven't already done so, you ought to bookmark George Dvorsky's fine blog Sentient Developments, which is devoted to "the future of intelligent life". From that thematic base, George is able to deal with a huge range of themes, from the prospect of finding intelligence on other planets to the possibility of very advanced, perhaps self-conscious, Artificial Intelligence. If this is your thing, check out the intelligent and thoughtful way he approaches these issues, often aided by smart guest bloggers. I don't always agree with George, but he's one of the go-to guys on all this.

I was a guest blogger at Sentient Developments for a week earlier this year, and it seemed to go pretty well. Since May, I've had a standing invitation to guest blog there from time to time at my own discretion. This has been very kind of George, but at the same time the last six months have been a bit of a hectic time for me. I mean, what with buying a new house interstate, plus extensive travel both interstate and overseas, seeing a book through publication, then doing what I can to promote it. And so on. In the time left over, I've wanted to concentrate on family responsibilities and editorial work on JET.

Still, it's silly of me not to take opportunities to contribute to such a good blog as Sentient Developments, so I'm going to try to do so. Hopefully, you'll soon start to see the occasional piece that I've written.

But again, it's worth a look anyway, if your interests are anything like those I've described.

2 comments:

Athena Andreadis said...

Heh heh. I also guest-blogged for George in May. All hell broke loose when I stepped on sensitive transhumanist bulges by pointing out basic errors in their biological tenets. Selections:

If I Can't Dance, I Don't Want to Be Part of Your Revolution!

Equalizer or Terminator?

Dreamers of a Better Future, Unite!

Anonymous said...

Ahh the good ol times. When people were more inclined to say what they felt.