About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. Author of FREEDOM OF RELIGION AND THE SECULAR STATE (2012), HUMANITY ENHANCED (2014), and THE MYSTERY OF MORAL AUTHORITY (2016).

Sunday, August 12, 2012

Sunday Supervillainy - X-Men Legacy to focus on Legion

I'm not sure how this is going to work, but X-Men Legacy will be reverting to #1 as part of the Marvel NOW revamp of of the Marvel Universe.

So far, so good, but apparently the focus is going to be on Professor Xavier's mad-as-a-cut-snake, but very dangerous and powerful son, Legion. I can't say I'm a huge fan of this character, and I'm not at all sure how he could be used in a semi-solo book like this. It will certainly make a change from X-Men Legacy's focus on Rogue for the past few years (with Rogue now becoming part of the Uncanny Avengers X-Men/Avengers mash-up team that Marvel is now creating). Your interpretation of the cover, with Legion in a straitjacket and the fragments of several important X-Men characters (in his mind?), is likely to be just as good as mine.

Some of these Marvel NOW rearrangements seem a little crazy, but you at least have to give whoever is dreaming them up a few points for originality. The main Marvel Universe is getting shaken up dramatically, if these announcements far in advance are anything to go by.

I suppose I should at least try out the first issue of this one, and see whether it hooks me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this reboot for the simple reason that about 3 months ago I stated getting back into comics, had to do an hour of research to figure out how on earth the books connected, what to buy, what is a good starting point, etc.

And I LOVE Legion. I love the fact that he is mentally unstable because of childhood trauma. I think most "severe criminals" in the modern would reflect this. I don't think he has been fully explored correctly (although I am still waiting for my first issue of the new mutants to arrive so I can read that) as writes tend to take quite a few liberties with his psyche in order to serve the individual storyline. e.g. carey in legacy made him fully restored with a wristband, which inferred strongly that 'the real david' is not crazy, just the people who take over his body.

anyway, can't wait for it!

stuart peace