About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The dreaded alpacalypse

It seems that the end of the world last weekend has got lots of people searching for the word "alpacalypse" - judging by the number of folks who've recently found this post ... and yes, by searching on that word.

Is the word a popular meme right now, what with us having just had the Rapture and all? I assume that must be the case. I hate to think of the obvious alternative: that it's simply that a lot of people Out There on teh intertubez don't know how to spell "apocalypse".

9 comments:

godsbelow said...

Well, I've just finished marking fifty-odd papers by second- and third -year students, in an arts course, at one of the much-lauded 'Sandstone Universities'.

I'm sad to say, I suspect it may be the latter.

longsmith said...

What's wrong with alpacas?

Brian said...

That explains the Alpacas I saw the other day. Who were those 4 riders I saw astride their diminutive steeds?

Svlad Cjelli said...

Rollercaust. Armadillon?

Mike said...

And then those who confused rapture and raptors - which has generated quite a bit of imagery and T-shirt punnery.

Svlad Cjelli said...

Well, dinosaurs aside, Jesus would be a "raptor" to the letter. It's perfectly cromulent wordplay.

Carolyn Cordon said...

Alpacas are so cute, and they offer protection to the young of another species with no complaint. An alpacalypse would surely be a good thing.

CRS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
CRS said...

My guess is people searching for and misspelling the upcoming Weird Al album, "Alpocalypse".