About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Monday, April 18, 2011

Oh noes, ah iz a Junior New Atheist

According to Michael Ruse.

I'm more amused by this than anything else. But what's a bit annoying about the whole thing is that Michael Ruse is better than this - I used to count myself as something of a fan of his work. He's written some very good books. At the moment, as things seem to me, he's doing himself a disservice. Oh well, more later no doubt.

6 comments:

Hamilton Jacobi said...

That's somewhat of a badge of honor, in a way. He sees you as important enough to be ostentatiously not named in one of his hissy fits.

Russell Blackford said...

Well, I didn't name names, either, in the piece he's responding to. However, he was not actually the main person I had in mind.

He fell within the category that I was talking about, of course. There's no denying that.

Spencer Troxell said...

Did you get your junior atheist secret decoder ring yet?

Jerry Coyne said...

"At the moment"??? The main has been off the rails for more than a decade!

When I get a moment, Russell, I'll show you the secret handshake. . .

Jason Rosenhouse said...

Nice to know I have some company as a junior New Atheists! I know what you mean about being disappointed with Ruse. I've also enjoyed some of his earlier books, and it's disappointing to see how far he's fallen.

GTChristie said...

Nobody needs another horseman, so Russell has been promoted to Fifth Wheel of the Apocalypse.