About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Friday, April 15, 2011

Craig versus Harris (more)

The full video, along with comments by Sam Harris, can be found here. Harris has some interesting comments about his tactics for dealing with Craig - comments that don't surprise me in the light of my own discussion of his tactics a few days ago. Interesting, though, to see what was on his mind when he made certain choices.

Edit: I should say that I thought the debating rules were fair to Harris - I'd be happy to be the opposing speaker to a topic under those rules.

The one other rule that I think should apply to all such debates is: "No notes or overheads (or any other such crutches) to be used." Make it a real contest of the speakers as speakers. I'm talking generally, not about this specific debate.

No comments: