About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Friday, July 09, 2010

I'm back ... okay?

I had a great time at the AAP conference. Among the many highlights, for me, were the papers by Kim Sterelny, David Chalmers, and Michael Smith. Some of the young up-and-coming philosophers were very impressive.

My own paper didn't attract a huge audience: about 15, which is typical at the AAP for those of us who are not philosophical superstars, what with twelve strands going at once in what isn't a huge conference (besides, I was on at 9 am). However, it was well received and left me with some thinking to do - mainly about issues to do with moral semantics. That's not a topic I'm in love with, but some of my thinking about the phenomenon of morality hinges on it to an extent.

8 comments:

Wowbagger said...

Are you going to weigh in on the 'Tom Johnson' affair? Here, I mean; I've seen your comments elsewhere.

I doubt I'm the only one keen to hear your thoughts on it - though I'm fairly sure it's getting to the point now where everything that can be said about it has been said.

Russell Blackford said...

I'll see. It may depend on what Chris Mooney says at this stage - not to mention what further revelations there may be.

Colin said...

How did Felix the cat survive whilst you were away? Is Felix ok now?

Russell Blackford said...

Yeah, Felix is fine. It was just me going to the AAP conference in Sydney. Jenny was still here in Newcastle.

Colin said...

Good to hear. I do get worried about all those cats and dogs who get left home alone-but it doesn't seem to be the case here. Please pass on a hello to Felix from me.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.