About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Thursday, May 27, 2010

ARC journal rankings, for those who are interested

For those who are wondering, this is how ARC journal rankings work (and as you can see we at JET really wanted what is signified by that "A" ranking; "A*" would be even better but we'll have to work on it):

=========================
Tiers for the Australian Ranking of Journals
Overall criterion: Quality of the papers
A*
Typically an A* journal would be one of the best in its field or subfield in which to publish and would typically cover the entire field/subfield. Virtually all papers they publish will be of a very high quality. These are journals where most of the work is important (it will really shape the field) and where researchers boast about getting accepted. Acceptance rates would typically be low and the editorial board would be dominated by field leaders, including many from top institutions.

A
The majority of papers in a Tier A journal will be of very high quality. Publishing in an A journal would enhance the author’s standing, showing they have real engagement with the global research community and that they have something to say about problems of some significance. Typical signs of an A journal are lowish acceptance rates and an editorial board which includes a reasonable fraction of well known researchers from top institutions.

B
Tier B covers journals with a solid, though not outstanding, reputation. Generally, in a Tier B journal, one would expect only a few papers of very high quality. They are often important outlets for the work of PhD students and early career researchers. Typical examples would be regional journals with high acceptance rates, and editorial boards that have few leading researchers from top international institutions.

C
Tier C includes quality, peer reviewed, journals that do not meet the criteria of the higher tiers.

3 comments:

Robert N Stephenson said...

That's pretty clear... I guess my paper on why God plays golf won't make it in, Russell? :-)

DM said...

you people need to learn to STOP TALKING about God...

Dennis M said...

My DM song!

I'm a *MINDLESS IDIOT* and BOOBIES made me do it!

I am so confused.

This is my final warning. Somebody be my friend, or this will go on forever.

I am so confused.

KABOOBIES! GOD I LOVE THEM! BIG ONES, SMALL ONES. I JUST LOVE TO WATCH THEM. I THINK OF BOOBIES ALL DAY.


I am so confused.

I have not been myself lately. Jesus has stopped listening to me.


I am so confused.

He told me in a revelation. "Stop bugging me with your petty complaints about atheists! Why don't your just make friends with them. Now be gone." Jesus was angry. Then I said "Oh Lord, Oh Lord! Why have you forsaken me?" Then nothingness. He was gone.


I am so confused.

I love you guys! I really do. I have no friends. Can you please just talk to me? Its just me up here in Montreal in a small room with this computer. Oh and some moist towelettes.

Pleeeeeze!


I am so confused.

they thought BOOBIES had no effect... WRONG! BOOBIES CAUSE MASSIVE ERECTIONS AND ERUPTIONS WORLD WIDE!

I am so confused.

This is my final warning. Somebody be my friend, or this will go on forever. AND I MEAN IT!

NOT JUST ANY FRIEND EITHER. I WANT A HOT CHICK, THAT IS WILLING TO SEND ME NAKED PICS OF HER DOING STUFF, LIKE ALL THOSE GIRLS IN MY VIDEOS.


I am so confused.

I love you guys! I really do. I have no friends. Can you please just talk to me? Its just me up here in Montreal in a small room with this computer. Oh and a small tub of Vasoline and a box of Handi Wipes.

I am so confused.

I HAVE MASSIVE ERECTIONS FOR BOOBIES AND CALVIN KLIEN AD MEN. DOES THAT MAKE ME GAY? I HAVE BEEN WORRIED ABOUT THIS FOR QUITE A WHILE.

I am so confused.

SOMETIMES I CAN'T CONTROL MY URGES AND I SPILL SOME SEED. MY GOD HATES ME FOR THIS. I TRY TO HIDE FROM HIM, BUT HE IS ALWAYS WATCHING ME. I THINK JESUS LONGS FOR ME TO BE IN HEAVEN TO SWORD FIGHT WITH HIM.

I am so confused.

This is my final warning. Somebody be my boy toy friend, or this will go on forever.


I am so confused.