About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Friday, November 30, 2007

Australian Science Fiction article

I've just received my rather handsome hardback copy of A Companion to Australian Literature Since 1900, edited by Nicholas Birns and Rebecca McNeer, which includes my chapter: "Australian Science Fiction". I don't dare look at what I wrote, of course, being ever-fearful of glitches that show up only at the end of the editorial process. But it's a nice book to be in.

Today, I'll be going over my (much longer) article on American science fiction, which I finally completed yesterday. If I'm happy with what I wrote, I'll send it off.

Next, it'll be back to the thesis. I need to wrap it up over Christmas. Back in June, I produced a version that is far, far too long and ambitious. It ran into a lot of problems as a result, and what I now need to do is cut it back to something much shorter and more focused ... not raising problems that it can't solve and really must be left to another study. I think I know how to do that, so my work is there for me. I must actually get that project completed, with the thesis actually submitted, by no later than March. My supervisor and I are currently looking around at examiners (well, he is ... I've merely made some suggestions).

But before that, Jenny and I will be paying an early Christmas visit to our folks and friends up in Newcastle next week. I'll be announcing a blog break shortly, but not just yet.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are way too busy man! Best of luck with thesis.

Russell Blackford said...

Thanks. I've just spent most of the day going over the American sf chapter carefully, and will now finally send it off and hope it's the sort of thing they want.

Blake Stacey said...

Best of luck!