About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Saturday, April 21, 2012

Sunday Supervillainy (early) - AvX #2

So, here's about the most elaborate (and generally accurate) review I could find ... to save me writing one of my own. BIG SPOILER WARNING!

4 comments:

Rocket Stegosaurus said...

I've given up on AvX. It's just inexcusably dumb. It's a real shame that it, Justice League, and Before Watchmen will be the top sellers this year. Ugh.

Russell Blackford said...

Is there something in particular that you have in mind with the "inexcusably dumb" comment? Don't get me wrong - I can think of possibilities!

Rocket Stegosaurus said...

Besides the premise and execution? (Hehe.) Magneto expressing reluctance at Cyke's plans, only to toss Colossus at the Helicarrier a panel later. Iron Man somehow having a "defeat physics" button in his armor. Thing, of all people, taking on Namor in his home turf. And John Romita Jr's art has been terrible, and he's penciling through issue five. Ugh.

Russell Blackford said...

I was thinking more the way Captain America and Cyclops both acting out of character - both are being totally unreasonable in plot-driven ways. We seem to see a lot of this sort of thing these days ... as in Children's Crusade, Magneto seems to have taken on the role of the bee-nther/done-that villain who keeps telling the heroes that it's better to be more reasonable (though as you say, he sure is quick to get in a fight as soon as that's the call .. then again, to be fair, Magneto has always been shown as eager for a good fight - it's one of his endearing qualities as a villain).

One thing I disagree about, though, is Romita's art. I actually quite like it, cartoonish though it is. I guess this is a matter of taste.