About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. Author of FREEDOM OF RELIGION AND THE SECULAR STATE (2012), HUMANITY ENHANCED (2014), and THE MYSTERY OF MORAL AUTHORITY (2016).

Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Publication prize

I've just found out that I won the 2007 Faculty of Arts Postgraduate Publication Prize for my article "Dr Frankenstein Meets Lord Devlin: Genetic Engineering and the Principle of Intangible Harm", published last year in The Monist (with a nominal 2006 date on it). Apart from the prestige and recognition, and a certificate to frame, this carries prize money of $1000. Off to have a celebratory lunch now, and I gather there'll be a ceremony in the School of Philosophy and Bioethics later on. I'm grinning from ear to ear about this: the recognition is really nice.

9 comments:

Blake Stacey said...

Congratulations, and don't stint yourself on that lunch. :-)

The Flying Trilobite said...

I agree with Blake; eat some really nice fire-roasted peppers, or something!

Congratulations!

stuart peace said...

Good one, and cool name for the article.

Hazel said...

Well done Russell :)

Udo Schuklenk's Ethx Blog said...

congrats russell! well done. have a glass of red on me :-)

John Howard said...

Congratulations! Is the article online?

Brian said...

Well done Russell. :)

Thomas Hendrey said...

Congratulations Russell!

Russell Blackford said...

Thanks, people. I had pizza and Champagne ... maybe an odd combination, but still ...

The Monist is on-line through Expanded Academic ASAP or ProQuest 5000 International.