About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. My latest books are THE TYRANNY OF OPINION: CONFORMITY AND THE FUTURE OF LIBERALISM (2019) and AT THE DAWN OF A GREAT TRANSITION: THE QUESTION OF RADICAL ENHANCEMENT (2021).

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

The new TV show from FOX, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, has received a lot of coverage on the net already, even though it won't be premiering until mid-January.

Before I get too many inquiries, I have nothing to do with this show. I'll certainly be interested to see how it compares with my YA/adult-crossover trilogy Terminator 2: The New John Connor Chronicles. If any of my original ideas in the trilogy are adapted, I'll feel flattered, but if anyone thinks I'll be making a big fuss about that (one way or the other) ... well, it doesn't work that way when you're doing tie-in work for media franchises like The Terminator. First, it's often hard in retrospect to identify the provenance of particular ideas among publishers, editors, writers, the creators of the original works, and so on. So while I'm quite proud of my trilogy, I'm certainly not a prima donna about its contents. Second, I have quite limited rights anyway. Whoever owns the intellectual property in the characters is entitled to draw on ideas from all the other people who have worked for the franchise, including little me.

So I'll just be enjoying the show, whenever I end up seeing it. But if anyone sees The Sarah Connor Chronicles before I do, and if it does adapt any of the cool details from my trilogy, make a note of it and drop me a line. As I say, I'll simply be flattered if any of my ideas make it to the TV screen. It was a lot of fun getting to play with these toys - and I do have a special love for the character of Sarah Connor, whose dialogue and action I enjoyed writing for the trilogy - but, of course, they don't belong to me.

No comments: