About Me

My photo
Australian philosopher, literary critic, legal scholar, and professional writer. Based in Newcastle, NSW. Author of FREEDOM OF RELIGION AND THE SECULAR STATE (2012), HUMANITY ENHANCED (2014), and THE MYSTERY OF MORAL AUTHORITY (2016).

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Godwin's Law, blah, blah

You might like to have a look at this thread over at Richard Dawkins' place.

Edit: This has been under discussion at WEIT and now at Pharyngula. I think that Richard's site is the best place to discuss it at this stage, since it is Richard who is most directly affected.


Laurence said...

I thought your comments on both Dawkin's and Coyne's sites where very good, but some of the other people on those sites just seem to get a little too worked up. I think both sides of the accommodation debate need to take a chill pill. Matzke probably shouldn't have said what he said, but just because he said that doesn't really justify all the things that the folks on Coyne's blog said. It just gets pretty ridiculous. Whenever I read the comments on the big Gnu Atheists blogs, I feel like I'm seeing examples of groupthink in action. I'm not even sure that I'm right, but that's what I feel.

Russell Blackford said...

Well, sure - I don't support someone being called "vermin" for example. But the accommodationists really don't have to keep creating these rows, and it's a bit hard not answering them. They'll say unfair and damaging things, and at least some of them really have to be replied to.